Sailing Abroad

As more of you are sailing abroad on Flotilla holidays or with your own boat, the following may be of interest.

1. The International Certificate of Competence (ICC) is issued by the RYA as proof of your competence to skipper a vessel in E.U. coastal waters. An application form and copy of the test is available on the RYA website here.

2. If you intend to use the inland waterways / canals of our European neighbours, then because they use specific and very different regulations and signals, you need to carry an inland certificate called C.E.V.N.I. BM Sailing is recognised by the RYA to deliver both of these courses, test candidates and recommend the RYA issue you with your certificate. You can find out more about C.E.V.N.I. here.

3. For flotilla holidays there seems to be no overall rule, some companies rely on intuition / background, others will insist on an I.C.C. or Day Skipper Practical. Ask before you part with your money. We will provide you with a 2 day flotilla course as suggested to us by Sunsail, Setsail and Neilsons. The aim is for you and your crew / family / friends to get some practice before you go. Click here for pre flotilla yachting syllabus.